Test Plan not showing 2nd plan in right pane

Ask community to help.

Moderators: Amaradana, TurboPT, TL Developers

Test Plan not showing 2nd plan in right pane

Postby MikeSoucy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi,

I am trying to resolve an issue that I am trying to understand. In Test Plan Management - Test Project looped in I see my 2 test plans:
1) looped in consumer sign in
2) looped in consumer sign up

I have the following test suites under test plan management for project looped in:
1) Consumer Sign In (shows 8 for test case # when there should only be 4) *** this is the issue I am trying to figure out
2) Consumer Sign up (shows 4 for test case # which is correct)

Each of these has 4 test cases, 2 for android, 2 for iOS.

First issue is that when on add/remove test cases and filtering on Consumer Sign Up, the right pane shows the following: Test Plan: looped in consumer sign in, I am assuming this is the link/path from looped in project to consumer sign in plan, however I am not set to that on add/remove test case filtering. It doesn't change on the right hand pane for either test suite filtering. Perhaps this may be a known bug? I am not too worried about this for the time being, I'd like to resolve the 8 vs 4 for the above consumer sign in piece under test plan management. I am not seeing how to *deselect* anything to get it back to 4 (# of test cases for each of the plans). Any ideas? Been googling/searching here/web for any insight as to what I did wrong and how to rectify it sans wiping it and starting again.

Thanks,

Mike
MikeSoucy
TestLink user

Re: Test Plan not showing 2nd plan in right pane

Postby MikeSoucy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 pm

MikeSoucy wrote:
First issue is that when on add/remove test cases and filtering on Consumer Sign Up, the right pane shows the following: Test Plan: looped in consumer sign in, I am assuming this is the link/path from looped in project to consumer sign in plan, however I am not set to that on add/remove test case filtering. It doesn't change on the right hand pane for either test suite filtering. Perhaps this may be a known bug? I am not too worried about this for the time being, I'd like to resolve the 8 vs 4 for the above consumer sign in piece under test plan management. I am not seeing how to *deselect* anything to get it back to 4 (# of test cases for each of the plans). Any ideas? Been googling/searching here/web for any insight as to what I did wrong and how to rectify it sans wiping it and starting again.

Thanks,

Mike

I think I may have answered my question after re-thinking this. With add/remove test cases selected and on the left pane, the right pane displays: Test Plan / looped in consumer sign in (8). Beneath that are the two testsuites, Consumer Sign In and Consumer Sign Up - each with 4 tests. So if the (8) represents the total # of cases then that isn't an issue. What I think is an issue is that the looped in consumer sign in is not set anywhere to that specific string.

Is "Test Plan / looped in consumer sign in (8)" representative of the project and first testsuite in the list? This doesn't make sense. I would think it should reflect the first test plan, Consumer Sign In, or whichever is selected via the filter on the add/remove test case pane. Or am I missing something here? If you need screenshots I'll have to figure out where to host them to link into a response.

Thanks,
Mike
MikeSoucy
TestLink user

Postby fman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:20 am

Your description is (at least for me) far from clear.
Best approach to help to understand what is happening is creating a simple use case that is similar to your scenario.
Describe what is the structure of test project (do some searches and you are going to examples in this forum), i,e,
1. create test project TPRJ100
2. create Test suite TS100
3. inside TS100 create TC-1A, TC-1B and so on

Seems that you are using platforms (androi and ios) but is not clear explained (the use of platforms have a MULTIPLIER effects on test case numbers on test plans)

if you can create some shared document (google doc?) with images, before and after doing some action, it will be a lot better than a long post here.

Please always provide EXACT testlink version you are using.
Remember also that you can create your scenario in the demo site, then it will be easier to see same things on same environment with same version of testlink for people that would like to understand or help.
fman
Member of TestLink Community

Postby MikeSoucy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Running TL 1.9.11 and once I put a document together I'll see about linking it via googledocs. Demo site, o.O let me give that a whirl! Thanks for the quick response.
MikeSoucy
TestLink user

Postby MikeSoucy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:41 pm

I am going to start from scratch because I deleted my top level project and created multiple projects but for some reason it defaults to the 2nd one named (shown at top of pane 002, 003, 001, 004, 005, 006). Sorting them to be 001->006 did nothing to resolve it. I don't know why 1.9.11 is being this much of a pain. If I create projects (more than one) a) it should sort them numerically by default when viewing the projects, b) should default to project 001 when I go to test plan management to create a test plan. When I go to that page it displays my 2nd project and no others were shown in left pane.

So, going to wipe this installation off my system and install from scratch and try this yet again. If this is a project problem, do let me know if there are bugs filed over at tbe mantis.testlink.org site (will go try searching for this type of issue after as well).

Mike
MikeSoucy
TestLink user

Postby fman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:36 pm

>> I don't know why 1.9.11 is being this much of a pain.
I do not thing this comments is an appropriate one, in order to get help, more when it's seems that you are new to the application and still struggling to understand
how to use it.
Meanwhile I'm still waiting for the document that may be can help to understand what are you doing and what is confusing you.
In addition you are jumping from one are to another, not allowing to focus on the issue.
Is the issue order of test project on combo on main page ? Who knows ?

Unfortunately the way you describe the things is FOR ME completely confusing, and do not allow me to understand and the to help.
fman

Postby MikeSoucy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:16 pm

Getting back to projects from my prior post. I did the following in order:
1) created 6 individual projects with ID 001-006
2) went to create a test plan for the first one looped in iphone consumer app
Here is where things didn't add up. In the left pane it was showing ID 002, no others were visible/selectable. I ended up wiping things and am starting over to see if it is the order of creating projects/test plans/testsuites/testcases that is causing confusion in the tool.

I also ran into an issue on Windows 8.1 (laptop) whereas I uninstalled XAMPP from control panel, deleted associated directory and when I went to re-install it (with and w/o run as admin since I am admin on laptop) it went off to never-neverland and never did the install. So I gave up on XAMPP for now and went to WAMP to run it from (all configured and able to log into testlink). So I am going to try and make 1 project, then 1 test plan, then 1 testsuite and 1 testcase in that order. Then repeat process for a 2nd project/plan/suite/case to see if it is just picky in creating these.

I was thinking that once I created a handful of projects I would be able to go back to a project, select it from list from test plan management and create a plan for that project (ID 001) but I didn't see that. It only listed one of 6 projects and was not 001, it started at 002. The other observation is when looking at the test projects pane where they are listed (create pane perhaps) they are not in order of the ID # that I set, they appeared to be ordered alphabetically with no way to save them in ID order (I can sort just fine, but no way to save them in ID # order, i.e. 001, 002...006.

I am looking at some commercial tools at this point but from what I saw when I initially set testlink up, it looked quite promising. But trying to do (what I would consider simple) things didn't go as I would have expected them.

If I can do things in the following order, that would be acceptable:
1) create project, then plan, then suite, then cases - fine
2) create projects, then plans for each project, then suites (possibly re-use cases from other projects), then cases - fine

If I can * not* create multiple projects, then plans/suites/cases - not going to be usable for me. Again, if I can get to the same place I was previously with issues I'll try and put together a file/archive to post on googledocs with a link to it. It could be how I am expecting this tool to work vs how you are envisioning/designing it, that's where I am at right now.

Thanks for the response. And I think I was pretty clear above in this reply what I wanted to accomplish with the tool. I like how it can present a top-down display of project to cases in the GUI (nice touch ;-) ).

Mike
MikeSoucy
TestLink user

Postby fman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:24 pm

I think we are going nowhere, then it will be better if you try a commercial tool.
Unfortunately I can not help you because you are putting conditions to provide the info I've requested, then we are in a dead lock.
Then It will be worthless that i try to do any action to help you.
But:
Have you read our (OUTDATED) user manual ?
Have you tried using or demo? in this way we can have a common place to see things ?
have you given a try to the BITNAMI installer o BITNAMI VM ?

Just for the records
1. test projects do not have ID's, have names and you can choose order on combo box using custom_config.inc.php :
order by DBID
order by name

2. You can create a test project then test suites and test cases and the create one or more test plans and populate it.
this is the right order and not '... create project, then plan, then suite, then cases ...

3. You can create test plans for each test project ( and can be private or public PROJECT and PLAN)
fman

Postby fman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:48 am

Test project combo on top - possibility to display test project prefix
http://mantis.testlink.org/view.php?id=6509
fman

Return to Installation and configuration