Regression Test Workflow & testlink 1.9.13

LATEST Official version.
Questions and discussions - NO ISSUES
FOR ISSUES => http://mantis.testlink.org

Moderators: Amaradana, TurboPT, TL Developers

Regression Test Workflow & testlink 1.9.13

Postby MrAurelien » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:04 am

Hi Everyone,

First i've searched this forum and could not find any clear information about the way tests are meant to be done uppon every new builds of a testplan.

Let me explain my problem by an example :
I have a testplan with 60's tests and a tester is assigned to run everything on build 0.1.
I got 3 failed tests, 2 not run, 1 blocked and everything else passed.
So developpers make fixes and create a build 0.2.

Now the problem :
Now the tester is supposed to do what with this build 0.2 ? Do all the test again ?
When i look at the documentation, we're supposed to run everything but passed tests. Right ?
But actually i did not find a way to "extract" those testcases from build 0.1 in testlink.
I just get a new empty testplan containing all 60 tests again.

My questions :
So, how to automaticaly "reduce" the tests contained in the testplan for any new build to include/display only tests without the status "passed" from the previous build?

I know we can just focus on those tests by using advanced filters but it is not conveniant (user have to set up filters each time).
Plus it looks weird to have 54 tests not runned at the end of testing.
If i go back to my example, i'd like to have only 6 tests displayed (3 failed+2 not run+1 blocked) for the build 0.2.

So how can i achieve this ? Or maybe i'm doing it wrong ? Tell me!

Thank's
MrAurelien
MrAurelien
TestLink user
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Re: Regression Test Workflow & testlink 1.9.13

Postby fman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:37 pm

>> I have a testplan with 60's tests and a tester is assigned to run everything on build 0.1.
>> I got 3 failed tests, 2 not run, 1 blocked and everything else passed.
>> So developpers make fixes and create a build 0.2.
OK
>> Now the tester is supposed to do what with this build 0.2 ? Do all the test again ?
Idea is we trust developers have not broke anything then I expect tester has to run only
7 test cases (3 failed tests, 2 not run, 1 blocked)

>> But actually i did not find a way to "extract" those testcases from build 0.1 in testlink.
The solution we have designed to manage this situation is using Test Case exec assignment.
What you need when creating build 0.2 is not copying test assignment, then go and assign tester only for the 7 test cases you need
to retest.
This way metrics will be OK on old (0.1) and new (0.2) build.

ON TestLink DEV version (current code from repo branch testlink_1_9) ( I do not remember if already present on 1.9.13) you can choose for what test case exec status, use same tester assignment, then this will allow you to get assigned (to same tester that have executed test cases on 0.1) only the test cases you need to retest.

Hope now is a little bit clear.
Please let me know.
If this has been useful it will be great if you can write some sort of HOW TO (better than this) and share with community
fman
Member of TestLink Community
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Regression Test Workflow & testlink 1.9.13

Postby archonwang1981 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:27 am

>> But actually i did not find a way to "extract" those testcases from build 0.1 in testlink.

I used testlink 1.9.12 and I have no idea how to get these not passed testcases quickly and reassign to the tester.
I use these steps to reassign these testcase;
1. create a new build;
2. assgin the testcase to tester, with the filter status(a pity that not support selecting multiple status)
3. select tester and assign.

urr, it's not very convenient.sometimes I have to filter the status for some times.
Could I assign the testcases not passed by one step? Thanks.
archonwang1981
Advanced user
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:02 am

Re: Regression Test Workflow & testlink 1.9.13

Postby MrAurelien » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:01 pm

fman wrote:>>
The solution we have designed to manage this situation is using Test Case exec assignment.
What you need when creating build 0.2 is not copying test assignment, then go and assign tester only for the 7 test cases you need
to retest.
This way metrics will be OK on old (0.1) and new (0.2) build.

Thank you for clarification ! I understand now the process.

In fact, the assignment part of testlink is something really painfull for us. We just realized few week ago why only admin could see testcases and not testers accounts ... because there was no assignments (do not ask me what kind of account everyone has before ... :lol: ). Well in my team we have 2 testers . But they have different availabilities (because they are shared between many projects) so we do not know who will test what and when. So everytime we bulk assign test to the one available ...

So my question :
Is there a way to assign testcase to every testers ?
It seems to be released (http://mantis.testlink.org/view.php?id=6517) in 1.9.12 but i cannot find how ...
I did not see an option like 'all testers' in bulk user assignment dropdown list, neither is multi-selectable.


archonwang1981 wrote:>>
2. assgin the testcase to tester, with the filter status(a pity that not support selecting multiple status)

I though like this too until I paid attention and clicked to "Advanced filter" button at the bottom of the filter form ... :mrgreen:
MrAurelien
TestLink user
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Re: Regression Test Workflow & testlink 1.9.13

Postby fman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:47 pm

>> my question :
>> Is there a way to assign testcase to every testers ?
Right now you gave to select each tester (one by one) and save, this can be done in ONLY in the feature that manage tester assignment.
This has to wokr on 1.9.13 and up.

There is no 'ALL TESTERS' option
fman
Member of TestLink Community
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Regression Test Workflow & testlink 1.9.13

Postby fman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:49 pm

@archonwang1981
I do not understand your approach: instead of complain why do you do not upgrade to latest version and the open a clear issue/feature request instead of talking of '... a pity ...'.
I've explained tons of times that features requests have to be opened on mantis and not here.
fman
Member of TestLink Community
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Regression Test Workflow & testlink 1.9.13

Postby archonwang1981 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:19 am

Thanks, I've found the feature in advanced filter.

MrAurelien wrote:
fman wrote:>>
The solution we have designed to manage this situation is using Test Case exec assignment.
What you need when creating build 0.2 is not copying test assignment, then go and assign tester only for the 7 test cases you need
to retest.
This way metrics will be OK on old (0.1) and new (0.2) build.

Thank you for clarification ! I understand now the process.

In fact, the assignment part of testlink is something really painfull for us. We just realized few week ago why only admin could see testcases and not testers accounts ... because there was no assignments (do not ask me what kind of account everyone has before ... :lol: ). Well in my team we have 2 testers . But they have different availabilities (because they are shared between many projects) so we do not know who will test what and when. So everytime we bulk assign test to the one available ...

So my question :
Is there a way to assign testcase to every testers ?
It seems to be released (http://mantis.testlink.org/view.php?id=6517) in 1.9.12 but i cannot find how ...
I did not see an option like 'all testers' in bulk user assignment dropdown list, neither is multi-selectable.


archonwang1981 wrote:>>
2. assgin the testcase to tester, with the filter status(a pity that not support selecting multiple status)

I though like this too until I paid attention and clicked to "Advanced filter" button at the bottom of the filter form ... :mrgreen:
archonwang1981
Advanced user
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:02 am


Return to TestLink 1.9



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron