Automated testing capability

LATEST Official version.
Questions and discussions - NO ISSUES
FOR ISSUES => http://mantis.testlink.org

Moderators: Amaradana, TurboPT, TL Developers

Automated testing capability

Postby psandie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:21 pm

I'm looking at TestLink as a possible alternative to our existing test management software and wondered if anyone out there could answer my questions regarding its suitability. Basically what we need out of our test management solution is the capability to arrange test cases in suites, and group suites together for execution in schedules. We need the ability to set up those schedules to be executed at specified future timepoint(s).
What we really need is for each test case to launch a process on a remote Windows machine and have the return value of that process indicate the test pass/fail value back to TestLink (or use some other TestLink api to message the test pass/fail status back). Currently our web based test management software interacts with a piece of software running on each Windows pc on which automated tests are run in order to have those pcs execute automated test cases and indicate pass/fail status via a process return code. We also need to store test configuration data in our test management software (i.e. on a per test cases basis) that can then be passed through to the test case when it is launched.
On top of this we need the ability to create and store 'manual' tests as just a bunch of documented test steps.
These all seem like standard things folks might want so I'm guessing it would all be doable, just wanted some confirmation on that.

Paul
psandie
TestLink user

Re: Automated testing capability

Postby larsen » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:50 pm

We evaluated automated tests, running python scripts on external server, returning data to TestLink and it worked as expected (1.9.16). But still not implemented.
I think you can send data to test server, but I'm not sure.
Make local install and try, pretty fast to get running.
/ Lars
larsen
TestLink user

Re: Automated testing capability

Postby psandie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 am

I have installed TestLink in a VirtualBox VM on my Windows pc (using Centos 7, MariaDB) so have a start point. I'm looking for information on how to create automated test cases such that they run an executable on a remote machine, or at least on the WIndows PC host. I can run the TestLink web interface via browser on my host using port forwarding. Are there any good guides on how to do this ?

thanks,

Paul
psandie
TestLink user

Return to TestLink 1.9