How to execute testcase in testlink

The release related discussions, plans and questions.

How to execute testcase in testlink

Postby ana » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:14 pm

I am very new for testing.Plz help me i am not able to find out
How can i execute testcase in testlink
ana
Advanced user

Postby yr0o4b » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:35 pm

1) Create a test plan using 'test plan management' (right side menu).
2) Select the test plan in the 'test plan' dropdown at the top of the right side.
3) Put the testcase into the test plan.
4) Create a build in the test plan using 'build management' (right side menu).
5) Select 'execute tests' (right side menu). In the search box at the left, change 'assigned to' to the blank field, then press the 'apply filter' button. The tests for the plan will now appear ion the menu below, and can be selected for recording of results.
yr0o4b
TestLink user

Postby ana » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:44 am

Thanks for reply.
I want to know is it possible to execute test automatically in testlink ?
or it is for manual testing only.I followed all the process which you described but when i apply filter i got a page which has only buttons save execution,execution history etc but It is not actually executing the testcase.
Kindly help me
ana
Advanced user

Postby yr0o4b » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:54 pm

You cannot run automated tests from TestLink.

If it helps, in our system, we use TestLink to document and record results for manual test cases. Once they've been automated, we still use TestLink to document them, but leave the result logging to the automation system.
yr0o4b
TestLink user

Postby ana » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:38 am

Hi,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
I want to know is there any way by which i can use testlink to execute testcases automatically,by integrating any other automated system with its.
ana
Advanced user

Postby yr0o4b » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:04 pm

We're using an older version, so this may be a little outdated, but look at the "Import Results" menu item of "Test Reports and Metrics". It can probably be done fully automated, but a little creative reverse engineering will be needed, and you'll probably have to do some maintenance for each new TestLink release you install.

If you want automation integration, though, I suggest you have a look at TestLink 1.8. I haven't had time to check it out in detail, but I believe there is some automation support.
yr0o4b
TestLink user

execute testplan

Postby dotjo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:31 am

sir i made sure of all the points u mentioned above, but still cant execute the testplan, it gives me no data available always :cry:
dotjo
TestLink user

Postby fman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:01 pm

Right term for testlink:

execute TEST CASE no testplan
fman
Member of TestLink Community

Getting execute to work is a bit tricky

Postby testing » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:55 pm

I've followed all the steps below.
*Create Test Suite
*Create Test Case
*Create Requirement Specification doc
*Create new REQ
*Assign requirement
*Create new build
*Add test case to test plan
*Assign test case to build
*Assign test case to me
*Assign keyword to test case

When I choose execute & I filter I get "No data available" on teh right hand side of screen.

Any ideas? May help us both work it out :?
testing
TestLink user

Postby yr0o4b » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:12 pm

By default, the filter is blank, which means "choose test cases assigned to nobody", instead of the expected "choose test cases assigned to anybody". Selecting your own name in the "assigned to" dropdown on the left side should yield your test cases.

This feature does work correctly, BTW. If you use test case assignement, it forces you to select the asignee, thus preventing tests from being inadvertently run by the wrong person. If you don't use test case assignment, it shows all test cases to everyone.

fman: While one does indeed execute a test case at a trime in TestLink, the "Execute Tests" menu item applies only to test plans, so it is valid to speak of "executing test plans" which is how one sets up test case execution.
yr0o4b
TestLink user

Return to TestLink 1.7 (Closed)