Upgrading from 1.7.4 to 1.8rc4, wrong db version

1.8 related questions and discussions.
Please upgrade to LATEST 1.9.x.
No more fixes for 1.8.

Moderators: Amaradana, TurboPT, TL Developers

Upgrading from 1.7.4 to 1.8rc4, wrong db version

Postby Trenskow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:52 am

Hi All

I just wanted to try the new RC4 in a test setup here, before the final release is comming.
But i have a problem
When running installer, and choosing to Migration from 1.7.2 (or greater) to 1.8.0, then i get the error, that it cannot continiue because it was expecting db_version1.2 and got 1.1

What to do?

Regards
Rasmus
Trenskow
Advanced user

Postby fman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:25 pm

1. Read carefully all our docs.
2. First Step UPGRADE DB
3. Second Step MIGRATIOn

let us know if this solve your problems
fman
Member of TestLink Community

Postby Trenskow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:40 pm

fman wrote:1. Read carefully all our docs.
2. First Step UPGRADE DB
3. Second Step MIGRATIOn

let us know if this solve your problems

Ok, i could use some help, instead of RTFM again. I will try to explain my self again.
I have now read the documents again, and eventually got it to work.

I am using testlink 1.7.4, and it says my db_version is 1.1.
As i can understand from the docs, i should use this option
'Migration from 1.7.2 (or greater) to 1.8.0' since my testlink version is 1.7.4

When running that, i get the error that db_version 1.2 is needed, and i have version 1.1

As i am running testlink 1.7.4 i do not find that i should run either of these
New installation,
Upgrade Database (Needed while migrating from 1.7.2) or
Migration from 1.6.2 to 1.7.x '

i then tried running the 'Upgrade database' and then migrate, and it works
Maybe this should be more clearer int the installer and docs, that after the upgrading, i should run the migration afterwards. When finishing the updgrade it says that i should login to testlink and start working.
Also, i cannot find any mention of this in the docs
Trenskow
Advanced user

Postby Trenskow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:46 pm

After upgrading, i got some other problems.

When clicking 'Results -> failed testcases' i get this error.
"Fatal error: Call to a member function buildViewBugLink() on a non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\testlink\lib\functions\exec.inc.php on line 223"

Also, in 'Specification' clicking a testcase that have previos versions displays this at the bottom of the page.
"Fatal error: Call to a member function getDisplayName() on a non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\testlink\gui\templates_c\%%2E^2E1^2E11686C%%tcView_viewer.tpl.php on line 166"
Trenskow
Advanced user

Postby havlatm » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:29 am

You are right, that migration process is not 100% understandable. We work on it, but TL itself has priority.
Please report these mentioned errors into our bug tracker (include reproduction scenario!). Thanks.
havlatm

Postby fman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:35 pm

I strongly disagree Migration process is simple, is just matter to want to read what is written.
Please explain me what is not clear here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Migration Process
* Migration is supported ONLY from version 1.7.2 (or greater) to 1.8.0
* Changes will be made to the 1.7.2 database (source database)
Please Backup DB before start
* Migration process actions:
o add requirement specifications and requirements to the nodes hierachy table.
o create test case prefix for every test project.
o assign external numeric ID (unique inside every test project) to test cases.
o update of new field (tcversion_number) on executions table.

Please Backup DB before start

* STEP ONE: Add this page to your bookmarks or save the URL.
* STEP TWO: Go back to the main installation screen and use Upgrade Database option.
* STEP THREE: After successful execution of STEP TWO, return to this page and click here to start data migration/update.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is not clear ?
This is the help you get when you click on Migration link.
fman

Postby wferrarini » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:05 pm

I too have had issues with the upgrade procedure while it does seem clear to me I get errors telling me that a field already exists while doing the upgrade and it stops there then the migration selection says I am already done.

But when I log into testlink it fails trying to execute the require once commands to display the gui.
wferrarini
TestLink user

Postby wferrarini » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:11 pm

This is the error message I am receiving when I try to upgrade my 1.74 database to 1.8

TestLink setup will now attempt to setup the database:

Creating connection to Database Server: OK!

Checking MySQL version: OK! (5.0.67 >= 4.1.0)

Connecting to database `testlink`: OK!
Creating Testlink DB user `testlink`: OK! (ok - user_exists ok - grant assignment)
Processing:sql/alter_tables/1.8/mysql/DB.1.2/db_schema_update.sqlERROR ON exec_query() - database.class.php
1050 - Table 'cfield_testplan_design_values' already exists - CREATE TABLE `cfield_testplan_design_values` ( field_id int(10) NOT NULL default '0', link_id int(10) NOT NULL default '0' COMMENT 'point to testplan_tcversion id', value varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', PRIMARY KEY (`field_id`,`link_id`), KEY `idx_cfield_tplan_design_val` (`link_id`) ) DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

THE MESSAGE :: SQL [14] executed [took 0.0179 secs][all took 1.2975 secs]: CREATE TABLE `cfield_testplan_design_values` ( field_id int(10) NOT NULL default '0', link_id int(10) NOT NULL default '0' COMMENT 'point to testplan_tcversion id', value varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', PRIMARY KEY (`field_id`,`link_id`), KEY `idx_cfield_tplan_design_val` (`link_id`) ) DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 Query failed: errorcode[1050] errormsg:Table 'cfield_testplan_design_values' already exists

Processing:sql/alter_tables/1.8/mysql/DB.1.2/z_final_step.sql
Failed! - Upgrade failed!

TestLink setup couldn't install the default site into the selected database. The last error to occur was Table 'cfield_testplan_design_values' already exists during the execution of SQL statement CREATE TABLE `cfield_testplan_design_values` ( field_id int(10) NOT NULL default '0', link_id int(10) NOT NULL default '0' COMMENT 'point to testplan_tcversion id', value varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', PRIMARY KEY (`field_id`,`link_id`), KEY `idx_cfield_tplan_design_val` (`link_id`) ) DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8
wferrarini
TestLink user

Postby unixadmin007 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:59 pm

drop the table cfield_testplan_design_values after restoring the db
once you run migration process it will recreate this table and it will solve your problem
unixadmin007
Advanced user

Return to TestLink 1.8 (OBSOLETE => EOL)[LOCKED]