Test Suite/Test case importance/urgency/priority

1.8 related questions and discussions.
Please upgrade to LATEST 1.9.x.
No more fixes for 1.8.

Moderators: Amaradana, TurboPT, TL Developers

Test Suite/Test case importance/urgency/priority

Postby aostad » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi All,

I'm new in using this tool and in learning curve.
I noticed the urgency/importance of test cas will be assigned to all test cases of a test suite/Test plan. But it is not right in many cases. It is very common that we have bunch of test cases with different priority/urgency in our test plan.

After hitting this problem, I thought I can use custom field and define a Severity level for each test case. It works fine except one problem. when I use "Test urgency" feature along with Severity level and if they urgency is different then then the result does not looks good and consistant like this:

Test Importance: Medium // This is assigned by testlink for all test cases in the test suite
Test Case Importance: High // This is defined by me through custom field

I think If priority/urgency/importance can not be assigned per test case then in specification of a test case it should say that the importance level is for whole Test Suite and not for test case. Like this:

Test Suite Importance: Medium
Test Case Importance: High

Any suggestion?

Thanks.
aostad
Member of TestLink Community

Postby Amaradana » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:46 am

Hi Aostad,
First, a test case priroity can be set to high,medium, low for each individual test case with out your custom field. But this can be done individually, i mean to say that importance can be set individual by manual method, since, importing your test cases through excel, this doesnt happen, i dont think this will support as i have tried this.in importing case via xml, the test case importance will be set defualt to medium
Second, Set priority is something like you want those tests to be run immediately or some thing like that in that case you assign.

So what you can try is just edit your testcase, you can find test importance and you can set your prirority with out creating a custom field.

Please let me know if anything else is required
Thanks,
Amardeep maradana
http://amartester.blogspot.com
Amaradana

Postby aostad » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks for reply. You are right.
aostad

Postby havlatm » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:22 pm

One more note: urgency as was designed as a way how to prioritize a feature which was under large development (or decrease priority for untouched part of tested product).
havlatm

Return to TestLink 1.8 (OBSOLETE => EOL)[LOCKED]