Installation issues

1.8 related questions and discussions.
Please upgrade to LATEST 1.9.x.
No more fixes for 1.8.

Moderators: Amaradana, TurboPT, TL Developers

Installation issues

Postby Laurent » Thu May 01, 2008 6:26 am

My IT guy has attempted to install 1.8 Beta 1 and failed. Then he used the latest from CVS with the same results. Are you aware of these problems? I do not have the details about the failure at this time but can provide them to you. I doubt that this is a rookie mistake as we already installed 1.6, 1.7 beta, 1.7, 1.73 and 1.7.4

Thanks/Laurent
Laurent
Advanced user
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Milpitas

Postby fman » Mon May 05, 2008 4:33 pm

please give more info
fman
Member of TestLink Community
 
Posts: 3068
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:19 am

Postby upuaut » Thu May 08, 2008 9:29 pm

I've faced problems in upgrading from 1.7.4 to 1.8 beta and was able to resolve them

here http://www.teamst.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=942

now I have a different problem; TL comes up with no text at all in the UI. I think this has to do with the localization aspect. I know for a fact that the language files (e.g. enGB vs en_US) do not fully cover all 'phrases' needed.
upuaut
TestLink user
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:34 pm

Blank screen after login

Postby donh » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:31 pm

upuaut wrote:I've faced problems in upgrading from 1.7.4 to 1.8 beta and was able to resolve them

here http://www.teamst.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=942

now I have a different problem; TL comes up with no text at all in the UI. I think this has to do with the localization aspect. I know for a fact that the language files (e.g. enGB vs en_US) do not fully cover all 'phrases' needed.


I am the IT guy that Laurent is referring to and have attempted to install testlink beta 1 again. I have the database converted and have completed the upgrade from 1.7.4 to 1.8 beta 1 and it finally completes with no errors. Now, when I login, TL just comes up with a blank page. A few things are listed, but it is mostly just a very nice blank page.

When you say it is a problem with localization, could you be more specific. Were you able to actually do an upgrade and have text displayed after the fact.
donh
TestLink user
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:24 pm

Postby upuaut » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:02 am

in my _TESTLINK_INSTALL_DIR/lib/functions/lang_api.php, around line 63
which is inside the function "lang_get"
and right at this line:

$the_str = iconv($TLS_STRINGFILE_CHARSET,TL_TPL_CHARSET,$the_str);

I comment it out by adding two forward slashes at its beginning

then right above it, added a new line:

$TLS_STRINGFILE_CHARSET = "UTF-8";

As to why this works, I am not sure. My php knowledge is limited. But i know for a fact that the lang files of testlink beta are just not complete.
upuaut
TestLink user
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:34 pm

Postby donh » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:45 am

upuaut wrote:in my _TESTLINK_INSTALL_DIR/lib/functions/lang_api.php, around line 63
which is inside the function "lang_get"
and right at this line:

$the_str = iconv($TLS_STRINGFILE_CHARSET,TL_TPL_CHARSET,$the_str);

I comment it out by adding two forward slashes at its beginning

then right above it, added a new line:

$TLS_STRINGFILE_CHARSET = "UTF-8";

As to why this works, I am not sure. My php knowledge is limited. But i know for a fact that the lang files of testlink beta are just not complete.


Thanks for the tips, but it didn't work for me. After making your changes, I still have a blank screen after login. The only thing displayed on the page is "Test project Management" and nothing else.

This is the same result I had before the change.

lol, is there a beta 2 floating around anyplace?
donh
TestLink user
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:24 pm

Postby upuaut » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:38 am

Sorry this didn't help.
the two of us might be the only ones who successfully got past 1.8 beta installation.

Did you have 1.7.x working before?
I had to make changes to lang_api.php to make 1.7.4 working. I also traced it to localization. Not being a php guru, i could only hard code the locale to eng_us or some such in the lang_get function, which got things working.

So, even with 1.7.4, i couldn't get it working out of the box. i suspect localization.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help.
upuaut
TestLink user
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:34 pm

Postby donh » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:20 pm

upuaut wrote:Sorry this didn't help.
the two of us might be the only ones who successfully got past 1.8 beta installation.


yes, it does seem that way.

Did you have 1.7.x working before?
I had to make changes to lang_api.php to make 1.7.4 working. I also traced it to localization. Not being a php guru, i could only hard code the locale to eng_us or some such in the lang_get function, which got things working.


I had no problems like this with 1.7.x. I was actually impressed on how easy the initial install was.


So, even with 1.7.4, i couldn't get it working out of the box. i suspect localization.


Interesting as I had no such problems. In fact, this beta is installed on the same machine as our production 1.7.4 testlink server.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help.


no worries as we tried our best. I guess we just wait for an updated beta to use the new api.
donh
TestLink user
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:24 pm


Return to TestLink 1.8 (OBSOLETE => EOL)[LOCKED]



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron